Current:Home > MyRepublican states file lawsuit challenging Biden’s student loan repayment plan -AssetLink
Republican states file lawsuit challenging Biden’s student loan repayment plan
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:23:05
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — A group of Republican-led states is suing the Biden administration to block a new student loan repayment plan that provides a faster path to cancellation and lower monthly payments for millions of borrowers.
In a federal lawsuit filed Thursday, 11 states led by Kansas argue that Biden overstepped his authority in creating the SAVE Plan, which was made available to borrowers last year and has already canceled loans for more than 150,000.
It argues that the new plan is no different from Biden’s first attempt at student loan cancellation, which the Supreme Court rejected last year. “Last time Defendants tried this the Supreme Court said that this action was illegal. Nothing since then has changed,” according to the lawsuit.
Biden announced the SAVE repayment plan in 2022, alongside a separate plan to cancel up to $20,000 in debt for more than 40 million Americans. The Supreme Court blocked the cancellation plan after Republican states sued, but the court didn’t examine SAVE, which was still being hashed out.
The new lawsuit was filed a day after the White House hosted a “day of action” to promote the SAVE Plan. The Biden administration says more than 7.7 million borrowers have enrolled in the plan, including more than 5 million who have had their monthly payments reduced to $100 or less because they have lower yearly incomes.
The challenge was filed in federal court in Topeka, Kansas, by Kansas Attorney General Kris Kobach. It asks a judge to halt the plan immediately. Along with Kansas, the suit is backed by Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas and Utah.
“In a completely brazen fashion, the president pressed ahead anyway,” Kobach said during a news conference at the Kansas Statehouse. “The law simply does not allow President Biden to do what he wants to do.”
Biden’s new repayment plan is a modified version of other income-based repayment plans that the Education Department has offered since the ’90s. The earliest versions were created by Congress to help struggling borrowers, capping payments at a portion of their income and canceling any remaining debt after 20 or 25 years.
The new plan offers more generous terms than ever, offering to reduce monthly payments for more borrowers and canceling loans in as little as 10 years. Unlike other plans, it prevents interest from snowballing as long as borrowers make their monthly payments.
The plan’s provisions are being phased in this year, and the quicker path to cancellation was originally scheduled to take effect later this summer. But the Biden administration accelerated that benefit and started canceling loans for some borrowers in February.
Biden said it was meant “to give more borrowers breathing room so they can get out from under the burden of student loan debt.”
Instead of creating a new plan from scratch, the Education Department amended existing plans through federal regulation. Supporters saw it as a legal maneuver that put the plan on firmer grounding, anticipating a challenge from Republicans.
But in the new lawsuit, Kobach argues that Biden needed to go through Congress to make such significant changes.
The states argue that Biden’s plan will harm them in many ways.
With such a generous repayment plan, fewer borrowers will have an incentive to go into public service and pursue the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, the states argue. They predict more state employees will leave their jobs, and it will worsen public schools’ struggles to recruit and retain teachers.
They argue the plan will inject hundreds of billions of dollars in loan relief into the U.S. economy, which would require states to increase fraud protection efforts. The plan “will create enormous opportunities for fraudsters to exploit student debt borrowers that would not otherwise exist,” according to the suit.
If successful, it would effectively kill the last remnant of Biden’s first attempt at widespread student loan relief. After the Supreme Court blocked his wider plan last year, Biden ordered the Education Department to craft a new plan using a different legal justification. The agency is now pursuing a more limited plan for mass cancellation.
___
Binkley reported from Washington
___
The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.
veryGood! (461)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Fortress recalls 61,000 biometric gun safes after 12-year-old dies
- Biden to ask Congress in Oval Office address for funding including aid for Israel and Ukraine
- Fake accounts, old videos, and rumors fuel chaos around Gaza hospital explosion
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Britney Spears Admits to Cheating on Justin Timberlake With Wade Robson
- Texas releases another audit of elections in Harris County, where GOP still challenging losses
- Man accused of bringing guns to Wisconsin Capitol now free on signature bond, can’t possess weapons
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Texas releases another audit of elections in Harris County, where GOP still challenging losses
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Pulse nightclub to be purchased by city of Orlando with plans of mass shooting memorial
- Michigan Republican charged in false elector plot agrees to cooperation deal
- Cities: Skylines II makes city planning fun, gorgeous and maddening
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- The New Hampshire-Canada border is small, but patrols are about to increase in a big way
- Black dolls made from 1850s to 1940s now on display in Rochester museum exhibit
- Study: Asteroid known as Polyhymnia may contain 'superheavy' elements unknown to humans
Recommendation
Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
Burt Young, the Oscar-nominated actor who played Paulie in 'Rocky' films, dies at 83
Pioneering L.A. program seeks to find and help homeless people with mental illness
As winter nears, some parents are still searching for the new pediatric COVID shot
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
New Mexico county official could face a recall over Spanish conquistador statue controversy
FBI: Thousands of remote IT workers sent wages to North Korea to help fund weapons program
Shootings in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood kill 1 person and wound 3 others, fire officials say