Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Albania’s Constitutional Court blocks Parliament’s ratification of deal with Italy on migrants -AssetLink
Charles Langston:Albania’s Constitutional Court blocks Parliament’s ratification of deal with Italy on migrants
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:46:44
TIRANA,Charles Langston Albania (AP) — Albania’s Constitutional Court on Wednesday blocked, at least temporarily, the ratification by lawmakers of a contentious deal that Tirana signed with Rome to process asylum applications of some migrants arriving in Italy by sea in Albania instead.
The court’s chief judge, Olta Zacaj, said the court would hold a public hearing on Jan. 18 to determine whether the agreement violates Albania’s constitution.
The decision means the Parliament will not vote on whether to ratify the deal, a session that had been planned for Thursday. It was not immediately clear when — presumably after the January debate — the lawmakers could vote.
The court’s decision followed a petition from the opposition, which has argued that the agreement runs counter to Albania’s constitution and international law.
Under the five-year deal announced in November, Albania was to shelter up to 36,000 migrants for a year, or about 3,000 a month, trying to reach Italy without proper documentation, mostly in dangerous sea voyages. Albania would house the migrants at two facilities while Italy fast-tracks their asylum requests.
The processing centers — one in the port of Shengjin, a main tourist spot on the Adriatic Sea, and the other near a former military airport at Gjader in northern Albania — were to be run by Italian officials, with Albanian guards providing security around the centers. Italy has committed to pay for the construction and operation of the two centers under Italian jurisdiction.
The opposition argues that housing migrants that way would deny them “any right the Albanian Constitution offers individuals.”
The 140-seat Parliament, where Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama’s governing Socialists have 74 seats, had been expected to ratify the government’s draft law despite objections from the opposition and local and international rights activists.
In November, when Rama and his Italian counterpart announced the deal, Premier Giorgia Meloni had said she expects the centers to become operational next spring.
Italy turned to Albania after failing to secure more help from fellow European Union nations to handle the increasing number of migrant arrivals. By mid-December, the number of migrants arriving in Italy by boat had nearly doubled to 153,000, compared to the same period a year ago.
The backlog of asylum applications in Italy currently stands at 82,000.
The deal has been criticized by rights organizations and other groups, along with Italy’s left-wing opposition parties.
___
Follow Llazar Semini at https://twitter.com/lsemini
___
Follow AP’s global migration coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (718)
Related
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- 5 people dead in a Thanksgiving van crash on a south Georgia highway
- Why 'Monarch' Godzilla show was a 'strange new experience' for Kurt and Wyatt Russell
- NYC Mayor Eric Adams accused of sexual assault 30 years ago in court filing
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Israel summons Spanish, Belgian ambassadors following criticism during visit to Rafah
- UN chief gives interview from melting Antarctica on eve of global climate summit
- UN chief gives interview from melting Antarctica on eve of global climate summit
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- The vital question may linger forever: Did Oscar Pistorius know he was shooting at his girlfriend?
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Gwyneth Paltrow talks menopause and perimenopause: 'It's nothing to be hidden'
- Father arrested in Thanksgiving shooting death of 10-year-old son in Nebraska
- Kangaroo playing air guitar wins Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards: See funniest photos
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Cleanup, air monitoring underway at Kentucky train derailment site
- Homicides are rising in the nation’s capital, but police are solving far fewer of the cases
- The New York Times Cooking: A recipe for success
Recommendation
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
A Mom's Suicide After Abuse Accusations: The Heartbreaking Story Behind Take Care of Maya
China will allow visa-free entry for France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Malaysia
Gulf State Park pier construction begins to repair damage from Hurricane Sally
British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
Gaza shrinks for Palestinians seeking refuge. 4 stories offer a glimpse into a diminished world
Black Friday food: How to get discounts on coffee, ice cream, gift cards, more
Man arrested in fatal stabbing near Denver homeless shelters, encampment