Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Judge blocks one part of new Alabama absentee ballot restrictions -AssetLink
Indexbit Exchange:Judge blocks one part of new Alabama absentee ballot restrictions
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 13:17:01
MONTGOMERY,Indexbit Exchange Ala. (AP) — A federal judge on Tuesday blocked a portion of a new Alabama law limiting help with absentee ballot applications, saying it violates the Voting Rights Act’s assurances that voters who are blind, disabled or cannot read can get help from a person of their choice.
Chief U.S. District Judge David Proctor issued a preliminary injunction stating that the law’s ban on gifts and payments for help with an absentee ballot application “are not enforceable as to blind, disabled, or illiterate voters.”
“The court easily concludes, after reviewing its language, that SB 1 unduly burdens the rights of Section 208 voters to make a choice about who may assist them in obtaining and returning an absentee ballot,” Proctor wrote.
The injunction blocked only one portion of the new law. Most of the law, which was challenged by voter outreach groups, remains in effect. Alabama is one of several Republican-led states imposing new limits on voter assistance.
Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall’s office indicated in a court filing that it is appealing the decision.
The new law, originally known as Senate Bill 1, makes it illegal to distribute an absentee ballot application that is prefilled with information such as the voter’s name or to return another person’s absentee ballot application. The new law also makes it a felony to give or receive a payment or a gift “for distributing, ordering, requesting, collecting, completing, prefilling, obtaining, or delivering a voter’s absentee ballot application.”
The American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama, the Legal Defense Fund, Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program and the Campaign Legal Center filed a lawsuit challenging the law on behalf of voter outreach groups. Proctor previously dismissed most of the claims.
The voter outreach groups said their paid staff members or volunteers, who are given gas money or food, could face prosecution for helping disabled voters with an application.
“Our democracy works best when everybody can participate in it, and this ruling prevents the enforcement of a cruel law that would have suppressed the voices of blind, disabled, and low-literacy voters,” the organizations said.
In a request to stay the injunction, Marshall’s office wrote that the decision does not follow “common sense.” They argued anyone could help a disabled voter, but “just not in exchange for cash or gifts.” The state had argued the prohibitions are needed to stop paid operatives from corralling large numbers of absentee votes.
“Alabama’s elections will be less secure and the voting rights of the State’s most vulnerable voters less protected if SB1’s injunction remains in place,” Marshall’s office wrote.
veryGood! (831)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- A group of armed men burns a girls’ school in northwest Pakistan, in third such attack this month
- Police dismantle pro-Palestinian camp at Wayne State University in Detroit
- Another US MQ-9 Reaper drone goes down in Yemen, images purportedly show
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- A Jewish veteran from London prepares to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings
- Dutch police say they’re homing in on robbers responsible for multimillion-dollar jewelry heist
- Palestinian prime minister visits Madrid after Spain, Norway and Ireland recognize Palestinian state
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Authorities kill alligator after woman's remains were found lodged inside reptile's jaw
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- What’s at stake in the European Parliament election next month
- Dortmund seals sponsorship deal with arms manufacturer ahead of Champions League final
- HECO launches a power shutoff plan aimed at preventing another wildfire like Lahaina
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Some companies plan to increase return-to-office requirements, despite risk of losing talent
- Sweden seeks to answer worried students’ questions about NATO and war after its neutrality ends
- Ohio House pairs fix assuring President Biden is on fall ballot with foreign nationals giving ban
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Kate Middleton Will Miss Trooping the Colour Event 2024 Amid Cancer Treatment
Polls close and South Africa counts votes in election framed as its most important since apartheid
Albanian soccer aims for positive political message by teaming with Serbia to bid for Under-21 Euro
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
The Ultimatum and Ultimatum: Queer Love Both Returning for New Seasons: Say Yes to Details
Sweden to donate $1.23 billion in military aid to Ukraine
The number of Americans applying for jobless benefits inches up, but layoffs remain low