Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|Pro-Trump PAC spent over $40 million on legal bills for Trump and aides in 2023 -AssetLink
Algosensey|Pro-Trump PAC spent over $40 million on legal bills for Trump and aides in 2023
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 13:20:19
Save America,Algosensey the political action committee founded by former President Donald Trump, has spent more than $40 million on legal fees for Trump and his allies on multiple legal cases in the first six months of 2023, a source familiar with the PAC's upcoming public filing confirmed to CBS News.
The PAC is expected to officially disclose that information and other expenditures in its semi-annual Federal Election Commission filing on Monday. The Washington Post first reported the figure.
The more than $40 million figure in half a year represents a sharp increase in the PAC's legal service spending, which came in at over $16 million across all of 2021 and 2022 combined, according to a previous FEC filing.
Earlier this year, the Trump campaign noted in fine print that it was increasing the percentage of supporters' donations it sent to Trump's Save America PAC from 1% to 10%, as the New York Times first reported in June.
Before Trump announced he was running for reelection in November 2022, the Republican National Committee paid many of the former president's legal bills. But in November, RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel told CNN the committee could not pay the former president's legal bills if he announced a 2024 presidential bid, which he shortly thereafter did.
Trump has made varying claims about his net worth over the years. As of May, Forbes estimated the former president's net worth at $2.5 billion.
Trump has already been indicted on multiple counts and his biggest legal battles are only intensifying. The New York "hush money" case trial won't get going until March, at the earliest, and he won't face trial until at least May in the Mar-a-Lago documents case, as currently scheduled. Trump has pleaded not guilty to all counts in both cases.
The former president could also be facing more indictments. He said on social media earlier in July that he received a target letter from special counsel Jack Smith related to the Jan. 6 investigation and alleged efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, and multiple sources confirmed the post was accurate. In Fulton County, Georgia, a grand jury has also been investigating attempts to interfere with the peaceful transfer of power after the 2020 presidential election in that state.
- In:
- Donald Trump
- Jack Smith
Fin Gómez is CBS News' political director.
TwitterveryGood! (28)
Related
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- 2023 US Open: Time, TV, streaming info for year's fourth and final Grand Slam
- What is 'skiplagging' and why do the airlines hate when you do it?
- Nevada man accused of 2018 fatal shooting at rural church incompetent to stand trial
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Giuliani is expected to turn himself in on Georgia 2020 election indictment charges
- Hurricanes and tropical storms are damaging homes. Here's how to deal with your insurance company.
- From Europe to Canada to Hawaii, photos capture destructive power of wildfires
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Jennifer Aniston Reveals Adam Sandler Sends Her Flowers Every Mother's Day Amid Past Fertility Struggles
Ranking
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- What is 'skiplagging' and why do the airlines hate when you do it?
- Vivek Ramaswamy takes center stage, plus other key moments from first Republican debate
- Climate change may force more farmers and ranchers to consider irrigation -- at a steep cost
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Netflix, Disney+, Hulu price hike: With cost of streaming services going up, how to save.
- Justice Department announces charges against hundreds of alleged COVID-19 fraudsters
- North Dakota Gov. Burgum may miss GOP presidential debate after hurting himself playing basketball
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Climate change may force more farmers and ranchers to consider irrigation -- at a steep cost
UPS workers ratify new five-year contract, eliminating strike risk
If You Hate Working Out, but You Want To Get in Shape, These Are the 14 Products That You Need
How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed ahead of Fed Chair speech and Nvidia earnings
These 12 Sites With Fast Shipping Are Perfect for Last-Minute Shopping
Mom gets life for stabbing newborn and throwing the baby in a river in 1992. DNA cracked the case