Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Former 'Blue's Clues' host Steve Burns shares 'horror and heartbreak' about 'Quiet on Set' -AssetLink
Will Sage Astor-Former 'Blue's Clues' host Steve Burns shares 'horror and heartbreak' about 'Quiet on Set'
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:20:21
Steve Burns listened to fans' thoughts on Will Sage Astor"Quiet on Set," and now, he's sharing his own.
The former "Blue's Clues" host, 50, spoke with Today and expressed his "horror and heartbreak" about the Investigation Discovery documentary series that explored alleged abuse experienced by Nickelodeon stars.
"It's just terrible to watch it unfold," he said. "I don't know what else to say, other than that it's heartbreaking."
Burns was the original host of the children's TV series "Blue's Clues," which aired on Nick Jr., a Nickelodeon programming block directed at younger kids. Burns, who hosted from 1996 to 2002, told Today that Nick Jr. and Nickelodeon "were so different," so he didn't have "any particular insight" to share.
Still, Burns told the outlet that it has to be "unfathomably painful" for those who are reliving traumatic memories.
"The fact that this is now what everyone’s talking about at the water cooler, it just breaks my heart," he added.
'Quiet on Set' new episode:Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him
Steve Burns' 'Quiet on Set' reaction came ahead of new episode featuring Giovonnie Samuels, Bryan Hearne
In "Quiet on Set," former "Drake & Josh" star Drake Bell alleged he was sexually assaulted by Brian Peck, a Nickelodeon dialogue coach who was later convicted of child sexual abuse. A mother also alleged a production assistant, Jason Handy, sent her daughter a nude photograph. The documentary additionally accused producer Dan Schneider of inappropriate behavior, such as asking employees for massages, and creating a toxic work environment on his shows.
In a new, fifth episode that aired on Sunday, former "All That" child actor Shane Lyons alleged Peck made "passes" at him on set. The episode also included a previously unseen interview with "The Amanda Show" star Raquel Lee Bolleau, who recalled being "so mad" about a sketch where Amanda Bynes spit in her face multiple times.
"All That" alums Giovonnie Samuels and Bryan Hearne also spoke out in the new episode, with Samuels revealing Schneider called her a week before "Quiet on Set" aired and asked for her support. She said she told the producer she was "terrified" of him. Hearne also dismissed Schneider's apology video, saying, "I think that he brushed off some (acting) chops and gave us a nice performance."
In March, Burns shared a TikTok video that did not directly mention "Quiet on Set" but was interpreted as being directed at fans who were upset by the documentary. In the video, Burns said he was "checking in" and asked followers what was "going on" before staring at the camera intently, nodding his head as if the viewer was speaking to him like he used to do on "Blue's Clues."
The TikTok drew more than 1 million likes and tens of thousands of comments from fans who said it left them feeling emotional.
"Steve checking up on the now grown up kids he left behind is another level of full circle moment," one fan wrote, while another posted, "Thank you for being one of the GOOD parts of Nickelodeon, Steve."
Steve Burns''Blue's Clues' video is the big warm hug we all needed, especially millennials
Kenan Thompson, Melissa Joan Hart previously reacted to 'Quiet on Set'
Burns joined a chorus of former Nickelodeon stars who have reacted to the allegations in "Quiet on Set." "All That" alum Kenan Thompson said on "Tamron Hall" in March that while he "never witnessed" anything that was described in the documentary himself, his "heart goes out to anybody that's been victimized or their families," and he called on Nickelodeon to "investigate more."
"Clarissa Explains It All" star Melissa Joan Hart also said on the "Meghan McCain Has Entered The Chat" podcast that while she had a positive experience at Nickelodeon, she "absolutely" believes those who came forward.
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, USA TODAY
veryGood! (957)
Related
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Ace the Tenniscore Trend With These Winning Styles from SKIMS, lululemon, Alo Yoga, Kate Spade & More
- The EPA says lead in Flint's water is at acceptable levels. Residents still have concerns about its safety.
- Man convicted of involuntary manslaughter in father’s drowning, told police he was baptizing him
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Stock market today: Asian benchmarks mostly climb despite worries about US economy
- O.J. Simpson's Cause of Death Revealed
- Veteran taikonaut, 2 rookies launched on long-duration Chinese space station flight
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- FEC fines ex-Congressman Rodney Davis $43,475 for campaign finance violations
Ranking
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Ashlyn Harris Reacts to Girlfriend Sophia Bush Coming Out
- Watch as volunteers rescue Ruby the cow after she got stuck in Oregon mud for over a day
- American arrested in Turks and Caicos after ammo found in luggage out on bail, faces June court date
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Woman pleads guilty to being accessory in fatal freeway shooting of 6-year-old boy
- Oregon man sentenced to 50 years in the 1978 killing of a teenage girl in Alaska
- Lori Loughlin Says She's Strong, Grateful in First Major Interview Since College Scandal
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Chasing ‘Twisters’ and collaborating with ‘tornado fanatic’ Steven Spielberg
Gold pocket watch found on body of Titanic's richest passenger is up for auction
Chicago appeals court rejects R. Kelly ‘s challenge of 20-year sentence
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
NFL draft picks 2024: Tracker, analysis for every selection in first round
King Charles III to resume royal duties next week after cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace says
Murder Victim Margo Compton’s Audio Diaries Revealed in Secrets of the Hells Angels Docuseries