Current:Home > StocksTikTok cracks down on posts about Osama bin Laden's "Letter to America" amid apparent viral trend -AssetLink
TikTok cracks down on posts about Osama bin Laden's "Letter to America" amid apparent viral trend
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 13:01:27
TikTok on Thursday cracked down on posts about Osama bin Laden's "Letter to America," which the al Qaeda leader wrote after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
In the lengthy letter from 2002, bin Laden attempted to justify the terror attacks against the U.S. that killed nearly 3,000 people. The al Qaeda leader criticized American military bases in the Middle East and the U.S.'s support for Israel.
Bin Laden claimed that the Quran gives permission to take revenge, and "whoever has killed our civilians, then we have the right to kill theirs." He criticized U.S. exploitation of the region's "treasures" — presumably a reference to natural resources. Violence, he claimed, is the only language America understands.
The letter resurfaced on TikTok this week amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas war, with some TikTok users posting about how reading the letter changed their perspective on the 9/11 attacks and U.S. foreign policy.
While TikTok said reports of it trending were inaccurate, the #lettertoamerica hashtag on TikTok had 13.7 million views as of Thursday afternoon. "Letter to America" also trended on X, the platform formally known as Twitter, where there were more than 82,000 posts.
"Content promoting this letter clearly violates our rules on supporting any form of terrorism," TikTok said in a statement on Thursday. "We are proactively and aggressively removing this content and investigating how it got onto our platform. The number of videos on TikTok is small and reports of it trending on our platform are inaccurate. This is not unique to TikTok and has appeared across multiple platforms and the media."
Amid the sudden surge in interest, the British newspaper The Guardian took down a web page where it had posted the full text of Bin Laden's letter back in 2002.
"The transcript published on our website had been widely shared on social media without the full context," The Guardian wrote. "Therefore we decided to take it down and direct readers instead to the news article that originally contextualised it."
White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates commented on the controversy, saying the apparent trend was especially egregious now, with acts of antisemitic violence on the rise in the U.S. and elsewhere in the aftermath of the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel.
"There is never a justification for spreading the repugnant, evil, and antisemitic lies that the leader of al Qaeda issued just after committing the worst terrorist attack in American history — highlighting them as his direct motivation for murdering 2,977 innocent Americans," Bates said. "And no one should ever insult the 2,977 American families still mourning loved ones by associating themselves with the vile words of Osama bin Laden."
- In:
- osama bin laden
- TikTok
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBSNews.com. She has previously written for outlets including PIX11 News, The New York Daily News, Inside Edition and DNAinfo. Aliza covers trending news, often focusing on crime and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (619)
Related
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Residents of an east Arkansas town have been without water for the past two weeks
- UPS to cut 12,000 jobs 5 months after agreeing to new labor deal
- MSNBC host Joy Reid apologizes after hot mic expletive moment on 'The Reid Out'
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Teachers strike in Boston suburb enters its eighth day, with tensions fraying
- Federal Reserve is likely to show little urgency to cut interest rates despite market’s anticipation
- Ambassador responds to call by Evert and Navratilova to keep women’s tennis out of Saudi Arabia
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Indiana legislation would add extra verification steps to prove voters are eligible
Ranking
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Russian billionaire loses art fraud suit against Sotheby’s over $160 million
- Whoopi Goldberg on why she leaves 'The View' group chat: 'If I need to talk to you, I talk to you'
- China manufacturing contracts for a 4th straight month in January
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Ambassador responds to call by Evert and Navratilova to keep women’s tennis out of Saudi Arabia
- New Jersey Devils' Michael McLeod charged with sexual assault in 2018 case, lawyers say
- Kansas City Chiefs DE Charles Omenihu tears ACL and will miss Super Bowl 58, per reports
Recommendation
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
US figure skaters celebrate gold medal from Beijing Olympics with a touch of bittersweetness
Hunter Biden’s lawyers press for dismissal of gun charges by arguing they are politically motivated
Oregon lawmaker suggests non-Christians are unfit for elected office
Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
Greyhound bus crash in Alabama: 1 killed, 9 others injured including bus driver
Australian Open champion Jannik Sinner returns home to Italy amid great fanfare
Little-known Democrat runs for North Dakota governor