Current:Home > InvestWoman accusing Vince McMahon of sexual abuse asks WWE to waive confidentiality agreements -AssetLink
Woman accusing Vince McMahon of sexual abuse asks WWE to waive confidentiality agreements
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 13:49:04
A former WWE employee who filed a lawsuit against the company and ex-leader Vince McMahon, accusing him of sexual battery and trafficking, is asking them to not enforce nondisclosure agreements with other former and current employees and contractors so they can potentially come forward with similar accusations.
A lawyer for Janel Grant emailed a letter making the request late Monday to attorneys representing WWE, McMahon and John Laurinaitis, a former WWE executive and wrestler, in Grant’s lawsuit against them.
A spokesperson for McMahon, Curtis Vogel, declined to comment. Lawyers for WWE and Laurinaitis did not immediately return emails seeking comment late Monday. Emails to the WWE and its parent companies, Endeavor Group Holdings and its subsidiary, TKO Group Holdings, also were not returned immediately.
McMahon, former CEO and chairman of WWE, has denied Grant’s allegations.
Grant, who worked in WWE’s legal and talent departments from 2019 to 2022, sued the company, McMahon and Laurinaitis in January, making graphic allegations of sexual assault, harassment, trafficking and other physical and emotional abuse.
McMahon stepped down as WWE’s CEO in 2022 amid a company investigation into allegations that match those in Grant’s lawsuit. He also resigned as executive chairman of the board of directors TKO Group Holdings in January, a day after Grant filed her lawsuit.
“If WWE and its parent company Endeavor are serious about parting ways with Vince McMahon and the toxic workplace culture he created, their executives should have no problem with releasing former WWE employees from their NDAs,” Ann Callis, Grant’s attorney, said in a statement. “This is the first step to rehabilitating a company that covered up decades of sexual assault and human trafficking.”
McMahon previously responded to Grant’s lawsuit with a statement calling it “replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth. I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name.” His lawyers said in court documents that he had a consensual relationship with Grant and never mistreated her.
Laurinaitis’ lawyer has denied the allegations, and said Laurinaitis was also a victim in the case.
Grant says she was pressured into leaving her job with the WWE and signing a $3 million nondisclosure agreement. The lawsuit also seeks to have the agreement declared invalid, saying McMahon breached the deal by giving her $1 million and failing to pay the rest.
Four other women — all formerly affiliated with WWE — signed agreements with McMahon that bar them from discussing their relationships with him, the Wall Street Journal reported in July 2022, citing people familiar with the deals and documents it reviewed. Grant was not among those women, her representatives say.
In December 2022, McMahon agreed to pay a female former wrestling referee millions of dollars to settle her allegations that he raped her in 1986, the Journal also reported. McMahon said the alleged sexual assault never happened, and his lawyer said he settled the suit to avoid costly litigation.
Grant’s request for the Stamford, Connecticut-based WWE to waive enforcement of the NDAs is similar to ones made to other companies when sexual misconduct allegations arose.
In 2018 and 2019, respectively, the Weinstein Co. and NBC Universal released employees, former employees and others from NDAs made in connection with sexual misconduct claims against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and “Today” host Matt Lauer.
Victims’ lawyers call NDAs instruments to silence accusers while allowing alleged abusers to avoid accountability. A federal law approved in 2022 and similar laws in more than a dozen states curb the use of NDAs that block victims of sexual harassment from speaking publicly about their allegations.
The Associated Press does not normally name people who make sexual assault allegations unless they come forward publicly, which Grant did.
She alleges McMahon forced her into a sexual relationship with him in order for her to get and keep a job, and later directed her to have sexual relations with others including Laurinaitis. She also accuses McMahon and Laurinaitis of sexually assaulting her at WWE headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut.
The lawsuit further claims McMahon recruited other people for sexual relations with Grant, shared pornographic photos and videos of her with other men including WWE employees despite saying he wouldn’t and subjected her to cruel and humiliating acts.
McMahon bought what was then the World Wrestling Federation in 1982 and transformed it from a regional wrestling company into a worldwide phenomenon. Besides running the company with his wife, Linda, he also performed at WWE events as himself.
veryGood! (91)
Related
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Sydney Sweeney's Expert Tips to Upgrade Your Guy's Grooming Routine
- Lady Gaga Details “Amazing Creative Bond” With Fiancé Michael Polansky
- Larry Laughlin, longtime AP bureau chief for northern New England, dies at 75
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Kristin Cavallari Shares Glimpse Inside New Home After Mark Estes Breakup
- The Latest: VP candidates Vance and Walz meet in last scheduled debate for 2024 tickets
- Haunted by migrant deaths, Border Patrol agents face mental health toll
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- NFL Week 4 overreactions: Rashee Rice injury ends Chiefs’ three-peat hopes?
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Erin Foster Shares Where She Stands With Step-Siblings Gigi Hadid and Brody Jenner
- Peak northern lights activity coming soon: What to know as sun reaches solar maximum
- Wildfires in California have burned 1 million acres so far this year. Heat wave poses more risk
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Nearly $32 million awarded for a large-scale solar project in Arkansas
- Horoscopes Today, September 29, 2024
- Abortion pills will be controlled substances in Louisiana soon. Doctors have concerns
Recommendation
NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
Sean Diddy Combs Accused of 120 New Sexual Assault Cases
Dad traveled miles on foot through Hurricane Helene's damage to walk daughter down aisle
Boo Buckets are coming back: Fall favorite returns to McDonald's Happy Meals this month
Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
Dating today is a dumpster fire. Here’s a guide to viral toxic terms.
Mississippi justices reject latest appeal from man on death row since 1976
Wildfires in California have burned 1 million acres so far this year. Heat wave poses more risk